This list includes every book that appeared in the series Mad Men. The project went as such: every time a book was mentioned or appeared in a character’s hand in the show, I, Daniel J. Rowe, paused and read that book then continued with the show.
I will on this page, go through those books and add my thoughts on how the book relates to the series and era. It was a long run, and one I don’t regret for a second.
This project is not for the binge watchers of the world.
- Lady Chatterley’s Lover, D.H. Lawrence (S01E3, Marriage of Figaro)- Characters: Joan, Peggy
- Nursery Friends From France (S01E04, New Amsterdam) – Betty, Sally
- The Best of Everything, Ron Jaffe (S01E05, Babylon) – Don, Betty
- Exodus, Leon Uris (S01E05) – Don, Rachel Menken (others)
- Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand (S01E08, The Hobo Code) – Don, Bert Cooper
- “Mayakovski” from Meditations in an Emergency, Frank O’Hara (S2E01, For Those Who Think Young) – Don
- The Agony and the Ecstasy, Irving Stone (S2E02, Flight 1) – Katherine Olson (Peggy’s mom)
- Marjorie Morningstar, Herman Wouk (S2E03, The Benefactor) – Bobbie Barrett
- “A Diamond as Big as the Ritz” from Babylon Revisited and other Stories, F. Scott Fizgerald (S2E04, Three Sundays) – Betty, Arthur Chase.
- Admiral Hornblower in the West Indies, C.S. Forester (S2E08) – Peggy, Gerry Respola
- Ship of Fools, Katherine Anne Porter (S2E09, Six Month Leave) – Betty
- The Sound and the Fury, William Faulkner (S2E11, Jet Set) – Don